Job Number: 21-02105
Job Number: 21-02105
Use your skills where innovative technology solutions begin. Eclaro is looking for a Systems Administrator for our client in La Jolla, CA.
Eclaro’s client is a leading technology solutions provider, collaborating with customers to manage their needs and achieve success in their business goals. If you’re up to the challenge, then take a chance at this rewarding opportunity!
- Applies advanced systems infrastructure concepts and campus, medical center or Office of the President or institutional objectives to resolve highly complex issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- As a technical systems administration expert for the Sherlock Division, evaluate, design, install, manage, and maintain a large installation of enterprise server and storage systems running Linux and Windows in support of both productivity and research computing at the San Diego Supercomputer Center and public Cloud platforms.
- The work content includes all aspects of computer systems, networking, security and application programming for building the infrastructure needed to support the program and defining processes to implement and maintain systems.
- Selects methods, techniques and evaluation criteria to obtain results
- Gives presentations to associated team and other technical units
- Evaluates new technologies including performing moderate to complex cost / benefit analyses
- May lead a team of systems / infrastructure professionals
- Be responsible for making technical recommendations related to computing hardware, network components (switches, routers, etc.), operating systems and software architectures
- Design interfaces, integrations, programs and database concepts, benchmark hardware and software, and design solutions to technical problems
- Responsible for performance by monitoring, maintaining, administering, developing, and testing computing, network, and application components related to large, complex computing plat formed used for FISMA, HIPAA and CUI projects and research
- Work with faculty on strategies, then translate strategies into architectural goals
- Confer with the Sherlock Division leadership to achieve consensus on technical architectural direction.
- Analyze and propose new systems and technologies
- Balance workload across multiple Sherlock Division programs/projects
- Develop and maintain a disaster recovery plan for systems as well as data recovery plan in the event of a natural disaster
- Exhibit technical mastery of system internals, network security, database and operating systems, emerging cluster computing technologies and architectures and the interrelationship of all
- Provide support to the development of hybrid computing infrastructure per the vision of the Sherlock Division
- Multi Cloud Infrastructure Administration
- Conceive, plan and implement original approaches to solve complex problems of diverse scope. Automating the provisioning of streaming (Kafka), Big Data (Hadoop, Google Big Query, Cloud Dataflow, Cloud Dataproc, etc.) and Client (Google: AI Platform, BigQueryML) solutions for a HIPAA compliant environment
- Work directly with users/researchers to develop specifications & review progress/results
- Maintain, administer, develop, and test applications related to large, complex environments
- Promote resolution of technical problems by providing effective technical coaching to team members
- Responsible for implementing and managing cloud cost optimization including adoption of consumption models, measure overall efficiency, and analyzing and attributing expenditure
- Responsible for writing complex scripts using but not limited to the following tools: bash, Ruby, PowerShell, Python, SQL to automate operational aspects and maintain a secure cloud environment Utilize scripting tools like Terraform, VCP, Security Groups, IAM access control, Federation technologies, encryption services such as KMS, HSM or encryption SDKs and WAF
- Maintain a CMMC Level 3 compliant environment spanning the Azure Gov, O365 GCC High and onprem tenants
- Operate and maintain the necessary systems services to meet the requirements
- Support on-boarding of users to this secure enclave and develop infrastructure services (including O365 support) within these enclaves to meet the evolving needs of the user community
- Provide expert knowledge for network architecture and planning support to maintain a large HIPAA compliant multi-tenant on-premises virtual server environment (40 ESXi hosts) and multi cloud architecture with AWS, Azure and GCP
- Design and provide Highly Available, Elastic, Reliable cloud solutions using cloud native tools
- Network Systems and Infrastructure Administration
- Applies advanced systems / infrastructure concepts to define, design and implement highly complex systems, services and technology solutions
- Proposes and implements highly complex system or device enhancements such as software, hardware and network configuration, updates and installations for projects or services of broad scope
- Implement, plan and monitor all aspects of the virtualized environment that is the foundation for all the projects supported in the Sherlock division.
- Architect, develop, build and deploy a new complex, cloud system architecture. Install, configure, deploy and maintain various services in public cloud platforms. Design a new network infrastructure in coordination with network and security engineers. Deploy new storage systems, network devices, servers and other equipment.
- Design and develop new systems as required and modify or update complex systems. Develop migrations strategies.
- Ensure the environment continues to meet all FISMA, HIPAA and CMMC L3 defined requirements.
- Working with business partners, design, develop, and deploy, new systems into the larger Sherlock environment.
- Perform complex analysis, make independent technical and operational recommendations, propose solutions and provide support
- Develop and maintain a disaster recovery plan for systems as well as data recovery plan in the event of a natural disaster
- Maintains complex security systems
- Interprets and adopts campus, medical center or Office of the President, system and regulation-based security policies to control access to networked resources
- Provides recommendations and requirements on network access controls
- Responsible for infrastructure compliance with NIST 800-53, NIST 800-171, NIST 800-66, NIST CSF, CMMC Level 3, and FIPS 140-2
- Provide expert knowledge of Storage Area Network (SAN) topology, including methods of debugging host connectivity, determining performance metrics, and user impact analysis for outages. Responsible for all aspects of storage services. Manage file systems, ensuring consistency and integrity. Perform storage system resource and capacity planning. Install, configure, manage, and maintain locally attached and network-based file servers and services, including NFS, Samba, NAS, SAN, iSCSI, and clustered file systems.
- Utilize scheduling, performance and traffic/usage monitoring utilities and scripts
- Work with a variety of network and server hardware and software to maximize speed, reliability and access.
- Trouble-shoot network client-server and OS problems. Evaluate computer and network performance. Includes consultation with customers and university faculty, identification of target hardware and operating software to be tested, design of test programs, procedures and data, install and tune any vendor or 3rd party provided test programs
- Security Compliance & Configuration Management
- Independently manages systems and services for a large facility, campus wide, medical center or Office of the President and / or institution-wide scope and makes recommendations for purchases or upgrades.
- Performs complex and advanced analysis to acquire, install, modify and support operating systems, databases, utilities and web-related tools.
- Selects methods and techniques to obtain solutions.
- Interacts with senior management.
- May perform complex network integration tasks and interoperability assessments for interconnected servers or components of clusters for communication.
- May lead a team of systems / infrastructure professionals.
- Specifies, writes and executes highly complex software and scripts to support systems management, log analysis and other system administration duties for multiple, highly integrated systems.
- Responsible for maintaining a Configuration Management System to support HIPAA, CUI and FISMA security controls.
- Development, implementation, and installation of new facilities and equipment as required or acquired by the project. Includes consultation with business partners and university faculty, and understanding of problem definition, problem diagnosis, problem resolution requiring technical skill levels and knowledge ranging from low to high level, and testing and implementing the completed solutions or procedures independently.
- Manages the upgrade, migration and maintenance (including system patching) tasks with other groups to provide a stable and robust environment that meets FISMA and HIPAA requirements within the Sherlock platform.
- Evaluate complex underlying technical, and computer science principles in new or evolving advanced computer systems. Includes extensive consultation with PIs, business partners, and university faculty.
- Implement and perform informal training seminars on the use of complex software.
- Participates in solving complex problems for users related to operating system or development environment, usage, software development and debugging, data storage and access and optimization.
- Document automated equipment installation procedures for use by Sherlock division and other SDSC systems groups.
- Compliant VDI Infrastructure Administration
- Designing and managing a highly available CUI/CMMC L3 (NIST 800-171) compliant complex VMWare Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) environment across Azure and onprem enclaves to support all campus researchers with Federal/DOD grants and contracts.
- Analyzing, designing, developing, documenting, and implementing solutions for the VDI Environment.
- Architecting and implementing any infrastructure changes to the VDI environment. Upgrading VDI environment to keep pace with vendor lifecycles.
- Monitoring and Analyzing operations data to ensure availability and performance of the VDI infrastructure.
- Administrating and maintaining vSphere environments. Providing and recommending solutions to program leadership. Manage and work on continuous improvement of the deployment, testing, maintenance, support, and upgrade processes of hardware and software, including operating systems and software updates. Continually perform research, evaluate and provide documented recommendations for new technologies and tools.
- Producing documentation and workflows for support team
- Responsible for working with PIs to create customized VDI solutions for CUI/CMMC research needs
- Systems and Cloud Integration
- Support project development lifecycle for the various projects supported within Sherlock
- Establish GitHub for source control, package source code for deployment to the various environments, supporting the CI/CD workflow and the corresponding artifacts, and developing scripts/templates/infrastructure as code in support of various project needs
- Specifies, writes and executes highly complex software and scripts to support systems management, log analysis and other system administration duties for multiple, highly integrated systems
- Works with technical collaboration teams on advanced system inter-connectivity concepts, design, and testing requirements
- Understands and organizes the requirements and changes and advises and may collaborate with system and architecture groups on incorporating needed requirements and implement testing of completed requirements
- Provide support to the development of Hybrid computing infrastructure for the Sherlock Division
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training
- Ability to elicit and communicate technical and non-technical information in a clear and concise manner
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to interact professionally and effectively with a diverse population in person, over the phone, and in writing
- Self-motivated and works independently and as part of a team. Demonstrates problem-solving skills
- Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines
- Basic knowledge of how to apply technologies and systems to meet business needs
- Ability to write technical documentation in a clear and concise manner
- Understanding of system performance monitoring and actions that can be taken to improve or correct performance. Expert knowledge of operating system internals, communication protocols, and system utilities (such as common Unix variants, Windows, and other more specialized operating systems.)
- Knowledge of the design, development and application of technology and systems to meet business needs
- General knowledge of other areas of IT. Thorough understanding of and experience with systems-related issues and actions that can be taken to improve or correct performance
- Demonstrated skills associated with adapting equipment and technology to serve user needs Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of how system management actions affect other systems, system users and dependent / related functions. Expert in cross-platform OS and application integration (Linux/Windows)
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge/skills/abilities associated with system problem identification and resolution. Experience with design, configuration, operation, repair, and tuning of technology systems. Expert ability for objective analysis of complex network and systems architecture in the case of planning and root cause reviews
- Advanced experience writing/editing most complex scripts used to perform system maintenance/administration. Advanced programming and/or scripting skills in Python, Ruby, Java and PowerShell scripting languages
- Advanced knowledge of computer security best practices and policies including demonstrated experience securing most complex server-based software. Demonstrated experience with HIPAA NIST 800-66, CUI NIST 800-171 and FISMA NIST 800-53 regulations and systems management protocols, including expertise designing and implementing controls compliant with DOD and NIST Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs)
- Experience leading a team of IT professionals. Required
- BS degree in technical or scientific discipline such as math or computer science, or equivalent amount of technical engineering or technical programming experience as typically gained within seven years in lieu of a degree
- Demonstrated experience (at least two years) with a medium sized (~100) installation of Linux and Windows Servers including knowledge of cross-platform computing and data interchange between Linux and Windows in a heterogeneous environment
- Demonstrated experience administering DNS Servers LDAP (Windows Active Directory including Domain Controllers), PKI Architecture, 2-factor Authentication (including RSA appliances and Azure AD), Web proxies, and SMTP servers
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of VMWare and consolidated data center architecture including software defined networking, iSCSI data storage and ESXi host management
- Experience and in-depth knowledge and skill in the concepts, principles, codes, standards, techniques and procedures in one system and networking administration and a very broad comprehension of principles and practices in related technical specialties
- Extensive experience and understanding of server, storage and networking hardware. Demonstrated ability to install hardware, replace parts, diagnose faults, and work with sales and service personnel Experience with vendor relations and the evaluation, selection, and purchasing of hardware and software
- In-depth experience performing systems analysis tasks, testing and benchmarks, working with complex and advanced systems and networks in a troubleshooting and performance evaluation environment
- Expert knowledge and extensive experience of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) technologies such as VMWare Horizon View and Citrix
- Expert knowledge of cloud native tools such as GCP Cloud Load Balancing, auto scaling groups, and availability zones for HA (Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity)
- Demonstrated experience designing and supporting Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity installations
- Demonstrated knowledge of implementing and managing cloud cost optimization including adoption of consumption models, measurement of overall efficiency, and analysis and attribution of expenditure
- Embrace and practice UCSD's Principles of Community including the commitment to strive to maintain a climate of fairness, cooperation and professionalism. General understanding and acceptance of UCSD/SDSC policies and procedures
- Extensive experience with & knowledge of key programming languages such as shell scripts, PowerShell, PHP, Perl
- VCP, CCNP Certifications
- MCSE, GCP Certified Associate Cloud Engineer
If hired, you will enjoy the following Eclaro Benefits:
- 401k Retirement Savings Plan administered by Merrill Lynch
- Commuter Check Pretax Commuter Benefits
- Eligibility to purchase Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance through Eclaro
If interested, you may contact:
Equal Opportunity Employer: Eclaro values diversity and does not discriminate based on Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.