Quality Lab Technician
|Reference # :||17-11854||Title :||Quality Lab Technician|
|Location :||Geismar, LA|
|Position Type :||Contract|
|Experience Level :||Start Date / End Date :||12/01/2017 / 12/01/2018|
|This position will work rotating, 12-hour shifts: 4 days on/4 days off (7am-7pm) for 4 weeks, and then 4 nights on/4 nights off (7pm-7am) for 4 weeks, etc.|
This position is responsible for 1) quality assurance testing of raw materials, intermediates, and finished latex products for the Company Corp. Plant within the scope of the Company Quality Policy and ISO 9001 Quality Management System, 2) using appropriate software to evaluate data based on internal and external specifications, 3) support the continuous improvement of lab and plant processes through QA/QC activities and meet and/or exceed customer expectations.
- Analyze raw materials, intermediate products, finished products and other chemical samples and evaluate suitability according to established specifications to ensure quality and availability of final product
- Analyze samples, provide quality data and become an active member along with the Lab Supervisor and Production personnel to provide innovative ideas to improve lab and plant processes and demonstrate continuous improvement
- Know, understand and use software tools such as Lotus Notes, IQS Proficient, SAP, Microsoft Office Programs, etc. which enhance quality reporting
- Ensure the suitability of laboratory equipment through proper operation, maintenance, calibration, verification and good quality control and assessment activities
- Generate quality data and significant statistical data to support plant personnel in their efforts to enhance process control, meet customer requirements and continuously improve our product quality characteristics
The selected candidate must have the ability to work as part of a team, understand chemical and instrument measurement processes, be self-motivated, and willing to develop technical knowledge and understanding of the chemical and measurement processes involved in the manufacture of styrene butadiene dispersions products.
- Minimum 2-year Associate's degree in Chemistry or 2 year technical degree in analytical testing in Chemistry or related field is preferred, or at least 2 years experience working in a chemical manufacturing laboratory environment.
- Experience with emulsion polymerization products is preferred
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment on a rotating shift is preferred
- Basic understanding of general chemistry
- Basic understanding of theory, operation, calibration, maintenance and troubleshooting of laboratory instrumentation such as gas chromatographs, viscometers, spectrophotometers, pH meters, moisture solids analyzers, etc.
- Basic understanding of the techniques of quality assurance and quality control
- Basic understanding of math and statistics
- Basic understanding of ISO/RCMS quality system requirements
- Basic computer skills using software packages such as Microsoft Office, Infinity QS Proficient (SPC software), SAP, Lotus Notes, etc.
*****Perform analysis of raw materials, intermediates, and finished goods, in a timely manner, to verify conformance to or prescribe appropriate adjustment to product so they meet specifications that have been agreed upon by Company and their customers or suppliers. Associate must be willing to work in a team-oriented atmosphere. This includes learning all tasks and equipment associated with product testing, helping coordinate the flow of work within the team and with other departments, and helping team associates to meet changing work demands (i.e. go where the work is).
Skill and Education Requirements:
Perform all wet chemistry tests on applicable products
Perform Coatings application test for applicable products
Analyze and record the test results in Quest Database /COA generation
Interpret and follow documented procedures, all corresponding TMs, SOPs, JTAs ECPs
Effectively communicate batch results to the appropriate personnel
Participate in safe work practices
Perform equipment control plan to verify conformance
Prescribe appropriate batch adjustments required to bring product in specification
Maintain a clean working environment
Perform effectively in a team based environment
Perform all required health and safety inspections at prescribed frequencies
Computer literate; scientific minded and detail oriented
Must be willing to work some weekends and overtime
High School diploma
Previous quality control experience including SPC and spray experience preferred
2 years chemistry related experience preferred
Experience in paint/chemical environment preferred
Occasional lifting, bending and twisting of various range and motion requiring physical exertion when handling materials, drums or equipment
Ability to lift 50-60 pounds
Ability to stand and walk in work environment majority of time
Occasional use of stairs required
Occasional use of respiratory protection including air purifying, air supplied and self-contained air supplied respirators.
Must pass fit test requirements for respiratory protection.
Use of PPE to perform hazardous materials duties related to spill response and clean up activities
Work environment varies between inside building activities and outside environment (ability to withstand various temperatures and weather conditions)
Job Status: Contract/Temporary