Director of User Experience
Director of User Experience
Job Number: 21-06696
Make your mark where innovation is the rule. Our client is looking for a Director of User Experience in New York, NY.
Eclaro’s client is a leading educational non-profit, committed to advancing educational opportunities around the world. If you’re up to the challenge, then take a chance at this rewarding opportunity!
- The Director is charged with both managing a team of other UX designers and contributing directly to the development of our global design systems and best practices.
- This position will work with our other design leaders to shape our design process and execution.
- As the UX Director, you will work with other designers and disciplines in creating, updating, and re-platforming our large collection of applications and web properties. You will co-own our global design system and system architecture, and become an expert and evangelist for both.
- This will include hands-on work to build interaction patterns and page and application designs, so extensive experience and skill in UI design and creating design systems, component libraries, symbol management, Material Design, and design workflows is essential. In addition, advanced skills in Sketch are a huge bonus.
- You will also lead the work of user needs analysis, requirements gathering, information architecture, and other UX tasks within the global team. This role requires productive teamwork and candidates should be comfortable slipping into an existing system, and being part of a team effort to expand it, defend it, and modify it when need be.
- The UX Director will serve as a leader within the design team, and responsible for promoting and implementing solid UX and design practices across the organization. You will directly manage some members of the UX team, including other managers. This will involve design and project supervision, as well mentoring designers, with a focus on supporting the development and career paths.
- As a leader, the UX Director will be required to guide design staff as they negotiate the push and pull between standardized approaches and specific design challenges and project needs. Therefore, you should be skilled and comfortable working with and presenting to a range of leadership levels, from Business Owners to the Executive Leadership Team, earning buy-in for the work in a manner that instills confidence in the design team at the Client.
- Strong communication skills are critical to helping you train new designers, assist in others' projects, and coordinate the successful implementation of our systems across our many design teams.
- Be a manager and mentor to the design team.
- Identify and create UI patterns across multiple touchpoints and channels for design at scale including desktop and mobile (strong emphasis on 'mobile first' and responsive design).
- Become an expert in our design system and help grow it and teach it to others.
- Analyze business and technical requirements.
- Partner with design researchers to translate findings into user needs.
- Lead and inspire other designers to adopt and contribute to our standards and systems, to ensure their success.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product management, engineering, user research, and communication design to ensure a smooth product development process.
- Handoff to developers, including design specifications and prototypes.
- Create strategic materials and demos to internal and external teams.
- Be the "voice of the customer" representing user needs in product design decisions.
- Min 5-7 years of related experience.
- Experience manager managing at least 5 staff members.
- Comfortable leading UX and UI design on projects, both as a single contributor and director of other designers.
- Able to provide relevant case studies and a portfolio of your work in design systems, including explanation and rationalization of design decisions.
- Excited to be a practitioner, working hands-on in UX and UI work.
- Someone with experience working in agile, iterative design, and delivery environments.
- Effective, but easy-going someone that is fun to work with and really thrives in a collaborative environment.
- A leader that is not afraid to speak up about what they feel is important, but also is strategic in picking their battles.
- A strong negotiator that is willing to collaborate and find a middle ground.
- Self-managing but also used to working within a team
- Experienced in information architecture and taxonomies, and in how to work with them to optimize designs.
- Someone who is dedicated and passionate about our non-profit mission.
- A great storyteller both with words and visualizations.
- A person with a good sense of humor, outcome-focused, results-oriented, and an unshakably positive attitude - who isn't afraid to try and fail (or to try and succeed!).
If hired, you will enjoy the following Eclaro Benefits:
- 401k Retirement Savings Plan administered by Merrill Lynch
- Commuter Check Pretax Commuter Benefits
- Eligibility to purchase Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance through Eclaro
If interested, you may contact:
Carlo Flores | LinkedIn
Equal Opportunity Employer: Eclaro values diversity and does not discriminate based on Race, Color, Religion, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, National Origin, Age, Genetic Information, Disability, Protected Veteran Status, or any other legally protected group status.