- This role will provide technical assistance to the Code Compliance Group in the day to day activities associated with construction permit reviews, drawing package review, and field inspections in compliance with the NYS Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code (uniform code) State Energy Conservation Construction Code (energy code).
Job Functions & Responsibilities
- Perform plan review of construction documents of all assigned projects with respect to the state regulations and uniform and energy codes. Reconcile comments with stakeholders, and make recommendations to the Code Compliance Manager (CCM) for issuance of a Construction Permit.
- Plan review, inspection and testing requirements based on the architectural, civil/structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire code requirements found in the New York State Building Code and applicable reference standards including, but not limited to, the American with Disabilities Act, National Fire Protection Association, American Society of Civil Engineers, American Society of Mechanical Engineers National Electric Code, etc.
- Conduct progress and final inspections and witness testing for projects for which a Construction Permit has been issued and prepare inspection reports detailing inspection results, including identifying code violations and submittal requirements. Conduct re-inspections and witness re-testing as necessary.
- At the completion of construction make final recommendation to the CCM concerning issuance of certificates of occupancy and use.
- Assist in the administration of annual fire inspections required by state regulations for all buildings and structures under the custody of company. As directed by the Code Coordinator, coordinate with site personnel for the scheduling of all necessary inspections and correction of all noted violations. Assist in the management of all record documents, database input and reporting to stakeholders, management and New York State.
- Research the code as part of the plan review process and also in response to inquiries from other departments requesting clarification and understanding of code requirements for specific situations.
- Experience working in a local Code Enforcement department, permit reviews and site inspections
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Knowledge of the New York State Building Codes, Energy Code and all associated reference standards, e.g. NFPA, ADA, ASME, ASCE, AISI, ASTM, etc.
- 5 years' experience in commercial and/or industrial electrical construction
- Bachelors or Associates degree in electrical, civil, or structural engineering/technology preferred
- Able to wear personal protection equipment such as safety shoes, hard hat, hearing protection and safety glasses
- Walk long distances, climb scaffolds and inspect in trenches below grade.
- Able to climb ladders and stairs.
- Perform plan review, conduct construction inspection and witness testing.
- Experience in reading and understanding construction drawings.
- Perseverance in researching multiple code documents and handbooks to obtain a good understanding of the code requirements.
- The ability to effectively communicate code requirements
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and Outlook